Last semester I made a few fabric body casts for suspension. This one is undyed muslin that I cast directly onto my own body with a mixture of PVA and water but by the time I had it suspended much of the detail was lost and became distorted. I was restricted to using PVA as this would keep it's transparency.
This semester I decided to give it another go. I made a mould of a friends body out of chicken wire and then did several coatings of PVA and water. It was much stronger and kept its shape for about a month. The chicken wire couldn't catch much detail but it had a strong overall shape of the body. Instead of suspending it again I thought of using it in a more performative way. The cast was much bigger than me so I decided to get inside hoping for it to appear as some sort of protective shell for my body. I photographed myself in it and then slowly flattened it out. Seeing it as a process of transformation. The result of pupation.
With this idea of a process of transformation I tried out some performative video work of containing myself in hessian material, resting, moving then emerging back out again.